Front Porch Freedom

It's that beautiful time here in the midwest: tornado season. If you have a front porch, this is the time of the year to use it. In the past two days, I have been summoned to my basement by the sirens. But as I drove through my neighborhood during these storms, every front porch was occupied.

One of my memories from our White Bear Lake home is my dad rocking on the front porch's chair as the rain poured, thunder crashed, and lightning flashed. I love this memory. There was no conversation or substance in these storm watchings, but it does make a beautiful image.

Watching the storm, rather than hiding. Finding no fear in the discovery of the power of nature and complete lack of control we have as human beings.

When have I hid or distracted myself from the "storms" in my daily living? What would it look like if I were to sit, rock, and watch the rain pour, thunder crash, and lightning flash?

There's a life of freedom when we can watch the storm, rather than hide or distract ourselves from it. When we watch the storm, we acknowledge we have no power over the storm - it will pass in it's own time. We are not in control.

But He is.

Under His control, there will still be storms on this side of heaven. But He will be glorified through the pouring rain, crashing thunder, and flashing lightning when we trust Him enough to sit and watch.

May He grant me the ability to sit through the storms rather than hide. May He be glorified through the rain, thunder, and lightning of my life. Amen.

Comments

  1. I was rocking on the front porch because that is what my dad did on that same porch. I loved that porch, looking west across a hayfield where you can see the weather move in and out. Nice job on the article, as always. I love the imagery of waiting out a storm/watching it. Psalm 27: "Wait on the Lord. Let your heart take courage. Wait on the Lord."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts