Trusting In His "Something Bigger"

Plans. Americans are incredible planners. I never realized how much I plan every minute of my day, until I had made a trip to Guinea this summer. We don't schedule doctor appointments by morning or afternoon. It is considered normal to have your entire day scheduled down to the minute. So what happens when our day doesn't go according to plan? I don't know about you, but I have the tendency to freak out. I automatically start making new or more back up plans - to attain some sense of control and "security." As Christians, I believe trusting in God's plan is ridiculously challenging, but completely freeing.
"Adam lay with his wife Eve, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Cain. She said, 'With the help of the Lord I have brought forth a man.'" Genesis 4:1
In Martin Luther's translation Eve's words were, "I have the man, the Lord." Suggesting she believed her son was fulfilling the promise of the Savior. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I find it incredibly sad that Eve was "let down" when (or if) she found out Cain was not the fulfillment of God's promise. We all know the feeling of having our plans ruined. Now imagine that feeling but to the extremity. Eve believed her son would conquer sin and death. What a plan. As sad as this could be, I also find great hope and faith in Eve. She believed in God's promise to redeem his creation. That in itself is worth acknowledging. But to believe her own offspring fulfilled God's promise also takes a big, bold faith. There was no doubt in Eve's heart, that God would fulfill his promise. No doubt at all. Eve firmly believed in the promise that she didn't even excuse her son as a possibility. Regularly, I "excuse" myself from God's plan. I don't see myself as bold or significant enough to be apart of God's grand scheme. But why not? If not me, then who? There's not one sinner on earth that has sinned less than the other. Our God is a god of possibilities and promises. He certainly has the ability and grace to use someone like me and you for something bigger. Trust in His "something bigger." 
God's plan is always better than anything we could think of. 
"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20
I am sure Eve had no idea that the Redeemer would be born ages after Cain. Prophets and generations would wait on their Savior. Nations and kingdoms would fall and rise before the King of Kings made his way to save His creation. As bold and big as Eve's faith was, she couldn't have possibly imagined what God had in store. It puts me at ease when I think about the size of God's plan for his creation. My lifespan is not comparable to God's grand scheme of things. Yet, during my small time here on earth, God still has a purpose and plan for me - to contribute to his something bigger, grander, bolder, and lovelier plan for His children. 

Comments

  1. Two things struck me as I read this.

    1) When you said Eve believed her son would be the Savior and was disappointed that he wasn't I thought, of course she did and of course she was. She desperately felt her mistake and betrayal of her friend, her creator, her God. How terrible it must have been to understand that your selfish action in wanting to be more like God drastically changed everything, not only for yourself but for eternity.

    2) I heard a sermon tonight about the book of Esther and it completely struck me that Esther, Mordecai and everybody else in the Bible had no idea their lives and the choices they made every day were being used by God the way they were. Esther was not aware that she was being used by God in a great way. She was just living her life and following her God the way she knew best. It was only long after she was dead that we see how she was used. Today we (all Christians) seem to have a need to be special. "God has a plan for me!" Yes, He does, but we are not all Esther or Job or Moses. We just need to get up and go about our business every day open to the possibility of being used by Him in the most minor way, expecting nothing but His great love.

    Beautiful thoughts Natalie. I love it when somebody makes me think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts