A Mirror of the Gospel

Life can be weird as a 20-something Christian.
You're at that time when you're discovering what you want out of life and what life wants out of you. In the next 10 years you'll graduate college, hopefully meet that special someone, start a new job, get hitched, develop a career, buy a house, and start a family. This is the time of your life when the foundations of your future are built.
In the Christian community, I often feel an unspoken pressure of finding "the one" before I graduate. Instead of viewing my time as a 20 year old as exciting and fun, I view it as a countdown - and as the clock keeps ticking, my chances of finding love dwindle down. This mindset is not only exhausting and wrong, it is also another way I try to control the purpose and direction of my life instead of putting it into God's hands. 
The way we value our future says a lot about where we put God in our list of priorities. For me, (and I think for a majority of young adult Christians as well), I value my future based on my relationship status. As beautiful as God's gift of marriage is, this is and should not be our called purpose. 

As Christian 20-somethings, we need to value our future based on how we have lived out the Gospel. 
"Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.'" Matthew 28:19-20 
As Christians, we have been commanded by our Savior to GO and MAKE disciples. 
Once we value our future based on His command, we then begin to glorify God and His purpose.

Taking His purpose and making it our own is completely freeing. You are no longer chained to your insecurities or fears of the future, things that you thought had mattered - all of a sudden seem worthless. Now, I'm not saying marriage is worthless because it is an incredible gift given to us by God and holds a beautiful ability of how the gospel can be lived out. However, once we value marriage over the will of God we are limiting the ways the gospel can be lived out through our lives. As Christians, we need to remember that it is God's will for us to reflect His love back to the world. 

Make your life a mirror of the gospel by valuing your future by His purpose. 


Comments

Popular Posts