Our Father


Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy Name, 
thy kingdom come, 
thy will be done, 
on earth as it is in heaven. 
Give us this day our daily bread. 
And forgive us our trespasses, 
as we forgive those
who trespass against us. 
And lead us not into temptation, 
but deliver us from evil. 
For thine is the kingdom, 
and the power, and the glory, 
for ever and ever. Amen.


A couple of weeks ago I was taking photographs for a wedding. During the ceremony, the congregation joined together in the Lord's Prayer. Normally, I would join in too by bowing my head, closing my eyes, and folding my hands. But this time, I stood in the side aisle looking at a congregation of about 100 people pray - together. 100 different souls, fighting 100 different battles, but praying to 1 God with 1 prayer. How beautiful. A prayer that has survived generations is still applicable to our daily living as Christians. Praise be to God!
It's easy to take something that is habitual, like the Lord's Prayer, and mistake it for ordinary. Because something is done weekly or even daily should not determine whether or not it is ordinary. In the Lord's Prayer, you are praying the prayer our Savior taught us. That itself is far beyond ordinary. Your grandfathers, grandmothers, parents, future children, and future grandchildren will or have hopefully prayed this special prayer. 
Through this prayer, our God meets and hears our individual needs, struggles, dreams, and wants. I find it comforting to know that my God can meet my individual needs and desires through a prayer that I can pray together with my fellow brother and sisters in Christ. 

Next time you pray the Lord's prayer, find beauty in the coherency between the relationship God has with an individual, and the relationship God has with the body of Christ. 

Comments

Popular Posts