The Good, the Bad, and the Tone Deaf.

Anyone who knows me well enough, should know that my appreciation for music - church music to be specific - is unusually vast. I put the blame on my upbringing. My mother was the church organist, choir director, and my piano teacher. From a very young age, I was surrounded by and aware of beautifully choreographed melodies and harmonies. One of my favorite things about coming home for a weekend, is to sit next to my sisters during worship and harmonize together during worship. Our family is known by a few to always sing loud and hearty during worship.
A loud, hearty, and completely tone-deaf singer is one that perfectly illumines my worship. There is beauty in a person's will and choice to sing off key, joyously for the glory of their King. God is glorified through our inabilities, for He is always able. 
"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." -2 Corinthians 12:9-10
When I hear a loud, off tune voice from the back of the congregation, I am reminded that I am not there for me, but for God. Worship is to submit and surrender your complete self for the One who gave Himself for you. Worship is the extremity of adoration and the utmost contradictory of the self. Our God is one who is worthy of our full selves. The good, the bad, and the tone deaf. He wants it all.
Our God is one who redeems. He is able to take the crap we offer Him, and use it for the growth of His kingdom. He has turned death back into life! He is surely competent to mold our lives and our entire being in one that gives His name glory and praise.
When we only offer God, the qualities we consider to be our best - we are in delusion about who we are and who God is. Our God is one of holiness, righteousness, and justice. No matter what we can do or be, nothing we have to offer God will fulfill God's expectations for His creation. It is only through the redemption of our risen Lord that we can be seen as righteous children of God. We are unable to give God a life of perfection or holiness that is worthy of His praise, But He is able. He is able to turn our sin into holiness. He is able to take our weaknesses and create them into strengths.
Sons and daughters of Christ, worship selflessly and wholeheartedly so that God, in his infinite grace, may use your weaknesses for the strength of His kingdom.

Comments

Popular Posts