5 Blessings Pastor's Kids Should Be Thankful For

1. Jesus Lives Everywhere.
The biggest blessing I have received from growing up in a church-worker's family is the consistent presence of the church and Jesus in my life. Jesus was never limited to Sunday mornings and VBS. My parents put in a tremendous amount of effort to make Jesus apart of our daily living. I hope and desire to believe other Christian homes do the same.

2. Appreciating the Elderly
As a pastor's kid, you learn how to interact with different generations - and through that interaction you learn to appreciate the experience, respect, and honor the past generations before you can carry. It's common to find encouragement when you see young faces in the congregation, but AS one of those young faces - you can find encouragement in the elderly. They have lived a full life. They have gone through troubles and hardships we have yet to experience, and yet they still make Jesus the first priority in their life. Their presence in the congregation encourage my worship and faith. 

3. "Volunteer" Hours
Growing up as a pastor's kid, you "volunteer" for a lot of things. And by "volunteer" I mean your parents sign you up for it, or you're a quick replacement for someone who didn't show up. Whether it has been from VBS, to choir, Christmas caroling, filling in as an acolyte, or cooking up the Sunday rolls. I am deeply thankful for this. I don't know if there is any better way to teach servanthood by just doing it (whether you wanted to do it or not). Due to all of my "volunteer" opportunities, being of service to my congregation has become less of a chore and more of a duty - for which I am thankful.

4. "You're a pastors kid?!"
Normally the first response I get after one finds out my dad's a pastor is in the lines of: "You know Katy Perry is a pastor's kid!" or "You're pretty normal for a pastor's kid." In high school, these responses used to irk me like nothing else. But as I've grown up, I find it as a great opportunity to live for my Savior. Having the opportunity to represent Jesus as my savior, my church, the body of Christ, and fellow believers just because my friends know what my dad does for a living seems like an unfair responsibility pastor's kids have to hold. HOWEVER, it is an opportunity and responsibility not many get to hold. I have learned to hold this responsibility, to represent the body of Christ, with honor and pride. 

5. Supporting the Shepherd
Growing up as a pastor's kid, you eventually find out that the family of God can be pretty dysfunctional. What family isn't? This disfunction is frustrating, irritating, and sometimes disheartening. However, this disfunction gives the church authenticity and a deep need for a Savior, because when it comes down to it - we are redeemed. Why would the need of redemption exist if sin didn't? I have learned and experienced the emotional exhaustion many church workers go through. Shepherding a congregation isn't an easy job (by any means). My appreciation for all church workers and pastors will always be big. I am thankful for the appreciation and gratitude I will have for my pastor, because Lord knows he'll need it!

Comments

Popular Posts