Living in Rhythm

This is my favorite time of the year. Winter is melting away and spring is blooming. Easter is right around the corner. Good things are happening.

This time 3 years ago, my grandpa was in bad health - he had been for a long while. I remember celebrating Ash Wednesday that year with a very real realization and awareness of death. 

"For dust you are, and to dust you shall return." It was exhaustingly raw to experience the season of Lent through the last days of my grandfather. 
My grandfather passed away that year a couple weeks after Easter. As hard as it was to meditate on mortality during the last earthly days of my grandpa it was even more beautiful and joyful to celebrate Easter that year. It was beautiful to celebrate the risen Lord with the knowledge that my grandpa would soon see Him face to face. 
The same hymns I sang on Easter morning, I sang at my grandfather's funeral. 

He lives, my kind, wise heav'nly Friend.
He lives and loves me to the end.
He lives, and while he lives, I'll sing.
He lives, my Prophet, Priest, and King.
He lives and grants me daily breath.
He lives, and I shall conquer death.
He lives my mansion to prepare.
He lives to bring me safely there.

The sermon during my grandfather's funeral was beautiful. Like most funerals, the sermon focused on the qualities of my grandfather. The pastor focused on how my grandpa's lived out appreciation of consistency reflected the consistent love of His Savior. No matter the weather or the time, he brought his 3 sons to church every Sunday morning. No matter the traffic or work schedule, he made sure to bring his boys to confirmation class. My grandfather had a real love for permanence. However, through the change that life brought with his 3 new daughter in laws, 6 granddaughters, a new house, and a new retired life the union of God’s permanence in change exposed the beautiful rhythm of God’s love. No matter where we find ourselves, God is there with the same love that conquered death.

Every year before Easter, I think of my grandfather and what my life was like back then in comparison to now. A lot can change within the span of 3 years. (Especially when you've made the transition from high school to college). But through those changes and growths, many things remain the same…yet not completely the same. My parents still love me, but our love has changed in the past few years. Friendships are still maintained but those friendships have grown and developed. Minnesota sports continue to disappoint, but with new players and coaches. However, one thing that has remained the same, and will continue to remain the same is my Lord and Savior. 
His love will continue to abide. His grace will continue to overcome. And His blood will continue to redeem

Through all the different phases, traumas, hardships, victories, and moments I will experience during my earthly life - He will remain the same. As I change, He will continue to redeem me the same - with complete grace. There is beautiful rhythm in His love. 

4 year old Natalie who knew Jesus from Sunday school and Veggie Tales was loved with the same love as 21 year old Natalie who can now read the Bible and attempt to lead bible study. Through change, we are able to see the rhythm of His love - how it seems to grow as we grow. But in reality it has and always will be unrestrained and incomprehensible. One love is able to redeem you through all seasons and years of your life. His love stays the same, but continues to meet each child of God no matter where they are.

Today my parents are up in Minnesota to close on the Bender home. This is the same house my grandparents raised my dad and his brothers, and where my mom and dad raised me and my sisters. It carries a lot of love and memory for my family. A lot of change occured in that one house. Many tears and smiles were shared. But through all that vast transformation of a family and of individuals, the love of God continued to intervene and redeem. May we live in the beautiful rhythm of God’s love. Living in the freedom to grow and change, while recognizing His consistent and intervening redemption through all our days, and all the ages. Amen.

Comments

  1. Great writing. Great reflection, wisdom, and gratitude. If you are this wise at 21, how wise will you be at 51? Thanks for being so consistent in your faith practice. SDG-- solo Deo gloria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! I would like to add that the rhythm of His love produces a dance between Him and His children. May we all enjoy the 'dance'. Truly, SAB

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts