The Love Behind and Beyond a Mother's Day Card

"I thank God who I serve, as did my ancestors, with a clear conscience, as I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day [...] I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well." 2 Timothy 1:3-5

It is a strange loss when you lose a generation in your immediate family. Anytime a family member passes, the family dynamic naturally changes and adjusts. But when you lose the last person from that generation, you grieve that entire generation all over again. After my grandmother's funeral, we went up to her apartment to look through and claim anything that might have held any sentimental value. As I was going through my grandma's closet, old papers, I came across my grandpa's belongings. His desk of knick knacks and photographs hadn't been touched in the last 7 years. My grandma kept everything he owned exactly in it's place.

As we navigated through the shock and loss of saying goodbye to my grandma, I also had to let go of my grandpa and the comfort grandparents can give.

One of the things I had claimed was the last mother's day card my grandpa had given to my grandma. My grandpa was a planner and would write his cards months before the holiday. My grandma found her mother's day card from her husband just weeks after he had passed. While his earthly existence ceased, his love continued through his handwriting and words of gratefulness on a simple mother's day card.

This is a beautiful image for so many reasons. It showed the love my grandparents shared, the committed and responsible heart of my grandpa, and the heart of my grandmother which deserved appreciation and acknowledgment. But as I have reflected on the loss of a generation, this mother's day card is a beautiful image of what my grandparents truly passed down and how God has completely blessed me through their living and dying.

My grandparents instilled and valued their faith. Above all. I saw my grandfather's faith through his commitment to worship weekly and expect his children and their children to do so. He was incredibly financially stringent, but gave it away so generously. He understood his calling as a Christian. To humbly lead his family and serve those in need. My grandma's faith was at the center of her living. She prayed over her granddaughters physical and emotional pain. She understood the power of His Word and committed it to memory. She lived to praise Him and give glory to Him in victories and trials. They both were fearless in dying. Grandpa had signed off his medication about a year before he passed. He was ready to see his Savior. Grandma (unknown to the family) didn't take her blood pressure medication and readily chose hospice. She was ready to be home.

Their faith not only carried them home, but it continues here on earth through the lives of their children and grandchildren. My grandparents' faith is like that mother's day card. My grandpa's words of appreciation were true and reassuring - alive and dead. My grandparents' faith was encouraging and influential - alive and dead. As my grandma grieved over the loss of her husband, she found comfort in his forethought and handwriting. As we grieve the loss of a generation, we find comfort in their confident faith and their commitment to disciple us for
the day we live together in His glory.

My grandparents' love reflected the faithfulness and love of the Lord's. The Lord nurtures me through my growing. He patiently loves and redeems my sinful being, all the while preparing my home for the day I join His heavenly Kingdom. He loves me in the present, no matter how ugly it gets, and is eager to love me when I joyfully receive my homecoming. He loves me through ages, through realms, through the Cross.

I praise God for giving me grandparents that lived out a sincere faith. I pray that I may grow into a faith like theirs - one that is confident, bold, fearless, and reaches generations beyond me. Praise God for grandparents. Praise God for the love behind and beyond a mother's day card. Praise God for the salvation of generations before me and to come. Praise God for His goodness, His love, and His faithfulness.

"For the Lord is good, his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations." Psalm 100:5



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts