1 Year

1 year.

1 year of marriage. 

1 year of celebration, growing, loving, depending, trusting, praying, supporting, and choosing.

1 year of settling into the change. Until you wake up one arbitrary day, and it all feels familiar and customary. 1 year of learning more about each other in the inherent vulnerability of marriage. 1 year of finding more reasons to love your best friend. 1 year of dreaming, working, and waiting for the years to come.

I didn't go into our first year of marriage with specific expectations. I recall hearing frequently that the first year would be the hardest. "...The first year involves more change, adaption, and foundation work." Circumstantially, this last year has been more difficult than others. We trialed through my father's COVID hospitalization, a sister's biopsy, and a cousin's tragic and unexpected passing. Amidst the fear, tragedy, and the grief, we were given the opportunity to fulfill our promise of faithfulness. To pray for the other when grief or fear left them speechless. To hold ground when the other would drift in waves of sorrow. To support and love each other's families. To encourage and remind the other of God's goodness in all pain & joy, sickness & healing, death & resurrection.

I am truly left speechless when trying to express my gratitude and love for Logan. Despite my self-righteousness and refusal of change (two big personality characteristics that really come into play during your first year of marriage), Logan only believes in my best intent, shows endless patience, and is always eager to forgive. I couldn't be more honored to love and be loved by such an incredible man. 

1 year ago, we stood in front of our families and friends. We chose each other. We thanked God for marriage. For each other. For Love. Our ceremony concluded with the verse: 

// I the Lord will bless and keep you and give you peace; I the Lord will smile upon you And give you peace: I the Lord will be your Father, Savior, Comforter, and Brother. Go, My children, I will keep you and give you peace //

Praise God for the blessing of Logan and all he brings to the world. Praise Him for the blessing of our marriage. Praise Him for keeping us throughout our pain and sorrow. Praise Him for the love and joy we share in our daily living. Praise Him for giving us peace beyond our understanding and circumstance. Praise Him for all the ways He loves. Praise Him for 1 year of marriage. May we continue to love each other under His keeping and peace in the years ahead.



Comments

Popular Posts