A God of a Million Sunsets

One of my favorite things in this world are sunsets. I have seen thousands of them, but every evening I'm still as pleased and amazed as the last. My dad once said in a sermon, that if you can't enjoy or notice a sunset - something in you is spiritually dying. And I would have to completely agree with him. God's creation can say so much about Himself and about us. It's important and healthy as Christians, to be on the lookout with an open heart for God's creation - to let God's creation give meaning. 

My dearest friend Laura recently sent me this text message:
"When you're looking at a sunset do you ever wonder how many other people are seeing it? When in reality that one sunset, the out of millions that have occurred throughout time, the one you're enjoying is only visible for so many miles and really only visible within the area that you're in. Then I realize - that if I'm looking at this one particular sunset that means there and were millions of sunsets just in one night. And God has the craft and ability to create each one differently, for each eye that sees them, in every corner of the earth, everyday. So really for the millions of different sunsets that just occur in one night, there are trillions that have happened and that will happen..."
(Side note: I thank God everyday for people like my friend Laura)
This is a beautiful example of how God's creation gave meaning to Laura. One sunset, started that train of thought. One sunset, gave the opportunity of growth in Laura's faith. One sunset, started a conversation between two friends.
Like most creation it is usual for it to make God feel big. It can put in perspective of our place and purpose on this earth. Laura's thought and realization of how many sunsets and people that have enjoyed them is a prime example of the size of God, and the size of us.
But it can also display to us how close and relational our Father is with us. For me personally, sunsets have always given me the meaning of intimacy between God and His people. The world could function without the beauty and awestruck of a sunset. The world would be just fine, but God gives us the beauty anyway. Sunsets are a gift from God.

In a sunset, I find an intimate God. One who goes out of His way, to present me beauty.
Hays, Kansas

Comments

Popular Posts